Forum to speak Off-Topic

cloverfield

Postby cyber » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:19 pm

omg.......this looks like a daim fine and awesome movie:

http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/475a0f ... cfe77683b1

b4 ne1 asks........this is the 5 min version of the trailer
cyber

Postby AntiVirus » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:08 pm

Whats this movie about? And when it will be on screens?

This trailer is made as if it was a beginning of some FPP game :D

edit: k http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield

I've read that the whole movie is shot using hand-held video cameras. I don't like such movies where the image is shaking and you can't see some things well. You need to focus on trying to see something instead of focusing on the plot
AntiVirus
Mr. President

Postby m0rphíné » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:35 am

another godzilla remake but with a handycam? hmm
m0rphíné

Postby cyber » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:47 am

not quite - seems alot better......nothing is worse than godzilla...its more of a......blair witch meets war of the worlds.
cyber

Re: cloverfield

Postby Don » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:15 am

cyber wrote:omg.......this looks like a daim fine and awesome movie:

http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/475a0f ... cfe77683b1

b4 ne1 asks........this is the 5 min version of the trailer

has that something to do with rl?!? :shock:

:-D
Don
Mr. Black

Re: cloverfield

Postby ParaÐøX » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:15 pm

Don wrote:has that something to do with rl?!? :shock:
:-D

lol
ParaÐøX

Postby doggie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:58 pm

doggie
Mr. Love

Postby m0rphíné » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:26 pm

went to see cloverfield yesterday at the cinema with my gf, i can say we were both disappointed. neat visuals(mostly unfocused cgi) can't compensate for a lack of story and character depth -- no matter how cool everything looks i'll just end up bored after some twenty minutes.

i'd only recommend cloverfield to those who enjoyed 300.
m0rphíné

Postby doggie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:57 pm

m0rphíné wrote:went to see cloverfield yesterday at the cinema with my gf, i can say we were both disappointed. neat visuals(mostly unfocused cgi) can't compensate for a lack of story and character depth -- no matter how cool everything looks i'll just end up bored after some twenty minutes.

i'd only recommend cloverfield to those who enjoyed 300.

i didn't liked 300 but i do like cloverfield. There didn't had to be a character depth for me as it was supposed to be a real-amateur camera movie. In the beginning i was annoyed from the views but then i start following the party and suddenly boom there it was. Pretty nice done for the rest, except the open-end (but then again it's (supposed to be)a real camera movie).
It's something different then normal plot of a sciencefiction movies.

But yes it's a movie, and everyone interpretes it different so one likes it others don't.
doggie
Mr. Love

Postby m0rphíné » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:00 pm

the camera view is not anything new and original though -- for example blair witch project had the same view/amateur-film setting. i think it would feel as "real" even if it was filmed 3rd-person in the same fashion as godzilla but without the flashy air views.

***SPOILER***

i got the impression that the theme consisting of only camera playbacks was a device for:

1.) avoiding the need for sharp effects, remember how blurry all the collapsing building-, dust-, explosion- and monster sequences were -- putting us under the belief that the camera is off-focus. if the viewer doesn't see exactly what the protagonists do, doesn't that contradict the whole purpose of using that perspective to begin with?

2.) not having to come up with a rational explanation for why the fuck a big ass monster appearing from nowhere suddenly invade manhattan to eat the citizens while spitting out thousands of equally evil monsters with super infectious fangs the size of john holmes massive penis.

yes, leaving me without explainable closure for a 1,5 hour long mindfuck makes me slightly confused. but cleverfield still had some highlights, for example the scene in which they're walking in the dark tunnel and can't see anything -- but still suspect something is wrong. Rob tells Hud to turn the nightvision on and all of a sudden you see dozens of monsters climbing on the walls, and Hud begins to yell "Run guys, RUN, just fucking run don't ask anything!". that was probably the most thrilling- and my favorite scene.

***SPOILER ENDS***

like you summarized it, everyone interprets it differently. ^^
m0rphíné

Return to Off-Topic